Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cultural Event #4

On Sunday, April 22nd, I went to the Annemarie sculpture garden with my mom. When we first decided to visit the garden, I was expecting topiary structures or something but I realized pretty quickly that the whole idea of the garden was to put man-made art in a natural setting. One of my favorite parts of the garden is a gigantic walkway that winds through the woods and ends in a big platform overlooking a sculpture of a keyhole. At first I thought that the winding form of the walkway was purely artistic, and then I noticed the fact that there were holes cut in the planks so that trees could grow through. The whole bridge was made so that no trees would have to be cut down for its construction, which I think gives a whole new earth-friendly meaning to the walkway. Seeing this kind of artwork out in the open is a little bit unexpected at first, since you'd usually see this kind of art in a gallery or a museum. Keeping it in a natural setting such as the garden, though, makes it seem much more alive and dynamic. I really enjoyed seeing the garden, and hopefully I'll be able to go back with friends if they change/add to their collection.

No comments: