Saturday, February 17, 2007

S-E-X-Oh! (Cultural Event #1)

Last night, I went to see the performance S-E-X-Oh! by the Teatro Luna group. I was very impressed by it, and I liked it a lot. Teatro Luna is Chicago's only all-Latina performance group, and it was co-founded by an SMCM graduate (Coya Paz, '97). The play was about bringing women of all cultural backgrounds together by sharing stories about sex and gender that everybody can identify with. The strength behind these stories is that although they are a common thread among many women, they are hardly ever talked about. The play dealt with experiences such as abortion, lesbianism, molestation, phone sex, religion, and many more. The play reminded me a lot of The Vagina Monologues, but I actually liked S-E-X-Oh! a lot more. I'd highly recommend this play; it's showing in Bruce Davis again tonight at 8 pm, and this might be your last chance to see it!

No comments: